Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Goods not as advertised.

At what point did running become somewhat easy?  Three weeks ago, if you asked me if I could run a mile, I’d tell you that it’s like walking down a dark alley in a bad neighborhood at night: I’d probably survive, but it wouldn’t be a pretty thing to see and it’s best left avoided.  Somehow, in less than three weeks, I’ve run two separate 5Ks, I’ve run a 5K on the dreaded demon treadmill, and last weekend, a 4.3-mile run.  In under 10-minute pace, no less.  I still haven’t figured out this runner’s high thing.  Either it’s bullshit or I’m not yet crazy enough to run far enough to experience it.  But I can run for 42:38 straight so far, and it’s just getting easier.  That’s not to say I’ll be running the Holiday Half this weekend, but it’s a nice start.

So Monday was my birthday, and as I’d planned, I attempted to make a day of it.  After hitting the gym and running a (fairly easy) 33-minute 5K, I hit the Jack in the Box for what I remembered to be some delicious grub: a Supreme Breakfast Croissant, a chicken sandwich, and two tacos.  As I ate them, I noticed something a little disconcerting.  They just weren’t that good.  The results for the rest of the food I had that day were mixed.  Kettle Chips Sea Salt and Vinegar were exactly as good as I remembered (so damn good), fruit pies were decent but not good enough to waste 450 calories on, and Chinese buffet was similarly just OK. 

I’m finding that there are a lot of foods that I used to convince myself that I love that are just not very good.  It’s a bit of a scary thought, especially since I was the first to accuse people of lying when they claimed not to enjoy their old faves.  But it’s true.  I didn’t have any McDonald’s on Monday, surprisingly, but I can’t imagine I would love it.  I can make a better burger.  I bet I could make better Chinese pretty easily.  I make damn good food and I feel better after I eat it.  You know what eating 5000 calories does to you?  I know what it does to me.  It makes me sluggish, and irritable, and uncomfortable.  I don’t like feeling any of those ways. 

So as I mentioned, Sunday is the Holiday Half.  It’s going to be a walking event for sure, but the 22nd is my first shot at upping my number.  The running club I’m in has an event planned for that day that involves running a 1.5-mile loop as many times as one can in 60 minutes.  I certainly want to run 4.5, but my goal is to push myself to finish six miles in that hour.  Can I do it?  I don’t know.  I’ve never run six miles before, and I’ve only run sub-10 minute pace once in my life.  But if I come to the start/finish line after my third lap and I’m on pace, you can bet I’ll have a go at it. 

It’s kind of strange to think that I’m slowly turning into a “runner”.  Even as I’ve begun running, I still don’t feel like a runner.  I know that there’s no set definition and if I run I’m a runner and all that stuff.  But I feel like there’s some disconnect between myself and the people that I identify as “runners.”  For some reason, I see runners as those who are consumed by running.  Is that true?  Do they hang out with the other runners talking about splits and wearing their very short shorts?  I only see them at running events, so maybe they have entire lives that I don’t know about and they are actual human beings and I’m an asshole for treating them like automatons.  Then I read my previous paragraph and realize it was all about split times, though not about very short shorts.  So be warned, I might be buying some very very short shorts soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment